Posted on behalf of Stephens, Anderson & Cummings on Mar 02, 2016 in Auto Accidents
According to recent results from a survey conducted by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, nearly 87 percent of drivers admit to engaging in risky behavior while driving.
The president and CEO of the foundation says the results show an indifference to road safety by far too many of today’s drivers. Most motorists believe they are more careful than others on the road, yet they continue to make unsafe decisions while behind the wheel.
More than 80 percent of drivers surveyed believe that distracted driving is a bigger problem than it was three years ago. However, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that it contributes to at least 3,000 deaths every year. Speed alone is a factor in approximately 10,000 traffic fatalities every year.
The most common negligent behaviors included speeding, not wearing a seat belt, running red lights, and driving while drowsy, distracted, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The survey asked drivers about their unsafe driving practices over the month prior to taking the survey. Some of the most striking results include:
- More than 70 percent of surveyed drivers talked on the phone while driving, 31 percent of whom say they do this regularly
- More than two out of five drivers read a text or email while driving
- Almost half of drivers admitted to driving 15 miles per hour over the speed limit
- 32 percent of drivers reported driving while they were too tired to keep their eyes open
- One in eight motorists admitted to driving with an alcohol level that may have been over the legal limit, nine percent of whom said they have done this more than once in the last year
The shocking results come immediately on the heels of recent reports showing that traffic fatalities increased more than nine percent during the first half of 2015.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident caused by another person’s unsafe driving behaviors, contact an injury lawyer from Stephens, Anderson & Cummings today. An experienced Fort Worth car accident attorney from our law firm can help you get compensation for your injuries.