With adult drivers estimated to be involved in an accident at least once every 18 years, everyone should be prepared to handle the situation.
Knowing what to do can be confusing, as many individuals are often shocked or upset after they have been involved in an accident.
It's also important to note that drivers and passengers who have been injured may not realize the accident occurred until after they regain consciousness.
If you have been involved in an auto collision, here are some helpful hints recommended by the personal injury lawyers at Stephens, Anderson & Cummings.
- Remain calm and call for emergency services. If flares are available in either car, set them off in order to warn other drivers to stay away from the area.
- Collect information about the other driver such as their name, address, contact information and insurance information.
- Get as much information about the vehicle as possible, including the license play number, color of the vehicle, make and model.
- If there are any witnesses, obtain contact information as well as a detailed account of what they saw.
- Write down all the details you remember about the accident, including what happened before the crash occurred.
- Document the damages to all the vehicles involved using a mobile phone or camera.
- Always obtain a copy of the police report and make sure information such as vehicle registration numbers, license plate identifiers and insurance policy numbers are included.
- Report the accident to your own insurance company.
- Contact a Texas auto accident lawyer at Stephens, Anderson & Cummings to discuss your legal rights.
We understand how devastating the after effects of an auto accident can be and you shouldn't have to go at it alone. We fight for you because Texans need a trusted attorney they can turn to when the unexpected occurs.
Contact us at (877) 920-9009 to schedule a free case review with one of our experienced attorneys or get started immediately by filling out the Free Case Evaluation form on this page.